gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] New Branch and Unicode patches

From: Jason Cater
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] New Branch and Unicode patches
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:04:00 -0500

Hi Jan,

>   1. is it possible to make all drivers call a default encoding method?
> F.e. make postgresql Connection class call DBSIG2.connect method first.
> That would help parsing standard connection parameters like "encoding".
> I dunno if it is possible to use the __init__ call instead of the
> connect call.

Most definitely.  I've been trying to avoid modifying the subclasses'
__init__, though, so if you need it to happen before .connect(), we should
probably add an .init() that the main __init__ calls.  If we have the
subclasses with their own __init__, it becomes much harder to change what
is passed in to the classes on creation.

Incidentally, .connect() gets called before any activity happens with the
GConnection, so I say we try it there, but if we run into problems, move
it into an .init().

>   2. Could we add a "close" method to the connection object, as that
> would be needed for appserver to allow to open one connection per
> session (i.e. better support for commit/rollback)

Yes, I was actually planning on this, but had not thought it all the way
through. I think this is the logical place for it.

-- Jason