gnue-dev

[Gnue-dev] Web site changes

From: Peter Sullivan
Subject: [Gnue-dev] Web site changes
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 5:04:21 +0000

The few visible recent changes to the website (plus the occasional glitch) mask
a lot more changes underneath. The most significant change is that the site is
now available, in the same format, at both www.gnu.org/software/gnue/ and
www.gnuenterprise.org.

It's been an aim of ours for a while to have the same web site on both
www.gnu.org and www.gnuenterprise.org, replacing the old situation where we had
two seperate sites, at least one of which was not being kept up to date. The
new website is maintained directly in our HTML CVS on savannah, and is then
checked out to www.gnu.org (automatically whenever it changes) and to
www.gnuenterprise.org (daily using cron, or more often if required).

In order to make the site work in CVS, we have worked without a "proper"
content management system, most of which use php or Zope. Instead, the site
does some basic templating in python, generating "true" html from "source"
files. This is probably similar to how many other GNU projects do their
websites, except they'll use perl, XSLT or Emacs-LISP...

One effect of putting the site into CVS is that anyone with CVS write access to
the GNUe code also now has write access to the website, without having to go
through a central individual or server to update the "master copy." However,
please read the readme
(http://www.gnuenterprise.org/admin/readme.txt)
for the website before changing anything!

--
Peter Sullivan <address@hidden>