gnue-dev

[Gnue-dev] Re: Gnue forms on DarwinX

From: Neil Tiffin
Subject: [Gnue-dev] Re: Gnue forms on DarwinX
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:40:50 -0500

Some answers

1. Darwin is the open source underpinnings of OS X. If you Installed using OS X then you are using OS X (and also have Darwin). This is different from only installing the open source Darwin as not everything gets put in the open source packages. My question was probably a little confusing now that I read it again. Since you mention 10.2 you are using OS X (with Darwin). Darwin standalone is version 6.0.1.

See http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

Sorry for the confusion.

2. Regarding wxMac, I was never able to get it to work. That was a year ago and it has been improved so your mileage may be better.

If you want to get GNUe working ASAP I would recommend using Fink and wxGTK. I also never got the binary distribution of xFree86 to work. Once I switched everything using Fink it all worked.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

I would also highly recommend reading the news section on fink. It contains really good pointers to current issues.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/news/index.php

Fink is a set of Perl scripts that download and compile source (and binary, which i dont use) tarballs. You will want to configure fink to use the unstable tree and make sure you have apple dev tools installed. Progress on wxgtk and wxpython is still very rapid and if you don't use unstable you will have problems. I use unstable all of the time and have not had any negative side effects. Of course your experience may vary so you should be cautious.

Fink also has a GUI version.  See http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/

After fink is installed you would enter the following from the terminal (I don't use the gui version).

fink install xfree86-rootless
(wait a day while it compiles from source)
fink install wxgtk
fink install python22
fink install postgresql-ssl-python
fink install wxpython-wxgtk

Some notes: it is important to use fink python and not the python that comes with OS X. It is brain dead (not all libraries are installed)

I posted a list of fink packages that I have installed at

http://www.gnuenterprise.org/~neilt/FinkPackages.txt

This also lists all packages available for Mac OS X as of December 4, 2002 so if you are having a problem someone on IRC may be able to direct you to which one to install.

Also, all of these installations will go into /sw by default (except xfree86) and will not interfere with any other installations (you probably do not want to change this). So you will have to monkey with GNUe a bit to make sure it finds everything. The fink structure is pretty straight forward /sw/etc, /sw/lib, /sw/bin, /sw/var, /sw/share, /sw/src, /sw/include, etc. So depending on what you are missing when you try to run gnue you can find it in a standard place if everything is installed using Fink. (For those reading this with Linux background Fink is a front-end to apt-get that converts standard Linux tarballs to peculiar Mac OS X needs.)

For each of these installs you might be asked to install other dependencies, just say "y".

Also, I use KDE and so I also have it installed.

3. Once you get everything working with xfree86 and wxgtk then I would try to wxMac working.

4. You need to make sure that postgresql is working before you attempt to work on forms. You should have it running an be able to connect with psql, create tables etc.

5. Then you need to make sure that you can connect to postgresql from within python command line. I don't have the correct syntax with me as I am traveling right now. But someone on IRC can help.

Hope this gets you started.

I will be out of reach (for the most part) until Saturday.

Neil
address@hidden

Thank you for responding to me. I will try to answer you questions as best as I can.