gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] GNUe-Integrator

From: Jan Ischebeck
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] GNUe-Integrator
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:17:43 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 14. November 2002 19:20 schrieb Stanley A. Klein:

> 2.  I don't know if it is Integrator or something else, but it might be a
> good idea to be able to store data in XML files and to connect forms and
> reports to those files just as though as the data were in a database, i.e.,
> changing the data would have the effect of editing the XML files.  I can
> think of security issues that would be solved by being able to do this.
> For example, something like this could simplify the maintenance of secure
> patient medical records or student educational records, given some of the
> US legal requirements for privacy in patient and student records.  (BTW, I
> think the European requirements for privacy are more stringent than the US
> requirements, and I suspect the same technology would help satisfy the
> European requirements.)
I don't see a big difference in security between a local, well secured
database and XML files in a filesystem. The only way to add security and make
it to comply to European privacy requirements would be to load the data from
a smartcard, edit it and store it back again.

IMHO editing XML files won't be done by integrator but with an XML-file
"database driver".

> 3.  I think that what you describe can do this, but in the past I have had
> a need to "version" a database, i.e., create multiple versions of a
> database, primarily as cases for math modeling.  (I once built a system
> performance model in SQL and ran it against different versions of a
> database that contained system component capacity parameters  and system
> workloads.  Because the DBMS was Oracle, and because that version of Oracle
> made it somewhat difficult to maintain multiple versions of the same
> database, I had to export the database to ASCII files and reload the
> database from ASCII every time I wanted to change versions.)

I don't know, if I understand you right. You speak of a database
change/migration szenario?
IMHO Integrator will be able (with the help of designer) to load two schema
definitions and migrate the schema and the data in the database from the first
to the second database schema.

> 4.  For what it's worth, I recently needed some code to convert a Dbase
> file for eventual use in GNUe.  I did some searching and found some code in
> one of the Python repositories that converts from Dbase format to an SQL
> equivalent. Let me know if it would be useful for Integrator.

That would be quite useful for integrator. We would modify it to become
another dbdriver.