Re: Build System Bug on Arch Linux

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: Build System Bug on Arch Linux
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 20:24:34 +0200

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 02:34:12AM +1000, mwaters517 wrote:
> I tend to stick to releases rather than svn or git repositories.

we do provide tarballs at [1] corresponding to tagged commits. the last
proper "release" is 20171003 [2], and the last development snapshot
(recommended) is from 20200806. I am assuming there is little
difference, but the proper releases are synchronised across the other
repositories.

> When I ran the gnucap binary from the git repository last night it
> core dumped on exit so I assumed it was strictly development and use
> at your own risk.

there is an issue with running gnucap from the git repository, whilst
having installed another version. you might get something like

> [..]
> main version: master 2017.10.03
> core-lib version: develop 2020.08.06
> default plugins: develop 2020.08.06

during startup (incompatible versions), and a possible crash. to my
knowledge, this does not happen with the autotools build system. it has
a script that sets some environment variables.

> Would you recommend I use aur/gnucap-git? I've noticed recently that
> gSpiceUI isn't working too well with gnucap at present so I would
> like to use a pretty up to date version of gnucap for my development.

for arch users, aur/gnucap-git is based on the develop branch, this is
the most up to date you can reasonably get. I recommend it for anything
esp. related to development. certainly, now it needs your fix for the
sed bug, or a switch to autotools...

Al has applied the sed and mkdir changes you suggested for review in the
make branch. I think the sed part should be merged. not sure about -p in
mkdir. the leading minus looks redundant to me and could be dropped.

cheers
felix

[1] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnucap.git/
[2] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnucap.git/snapshot/gnucap-20171003.tar.gz