[Gnucap-devel] Make2 again

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] Make2 again
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 19:53:09 +0200

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 09:44:04AM +0200, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> > My wish ...  Can we keep this modularity and use autotools or
> > cmake to generate that Make2?  and use the autotools or cmake
> > provided boilerplate part to replace the woefully incomplete
> > Make3?
>
> variables like CCC (CXX in GNU world), CXXFLAGS etc are set and can be
> overriden during configure. what's the use of spelling them out
> seperately in various Make2.* files? please give an example.

Hi Al.

please have a look at the "autotools-make2-WIP" branch. the
instructions from "INSTALL" apply (remember to run ./bootstrap in
case you build from git).

additionally to the usual "configure; make" you can now inject variable
overrides and rules into Make2 files manually.

for example

$ mkdir build; cd build
$ ../configure
$ echo "CXX=whateverelse_c++" > Make2
$ echo "LIBS+=-lfoo" >> Make2
$ make
... will now build using whateverelse_c++ and additionally link against
-lfoo. similarly you may override other variables. this goes without
rerunning configure and bypasses all checks.

or just use one of the boilerplates?
$ cp ../lib/Make2.g++ lib/Make2
$ make
... will now use the settings during build in "lib".

or the functionality from Makefile.template like
g++: nothing
        -mkdir O
        cat Make1 Make2.g++ ../Make3 Make.depend >O/Makefile
        (cd O; ${MAKE} -k)
could be added to work similarly, except that only Make2 is involved.

I do not see any use for this. perhaps you do? again, if i knew what you
intend to do, it would be much easier to pinpoint these suggestions.

lets be pragmatic
felix