[Gnucap-devel] Re: Gnucap-devel Digest, Vol 30, Issue 1

From: Jonathan David
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] Re: Gnucap-devel Digest, Vol 30, Issue 1
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:14:31 -0700 (PDT)

My comment on this would be that If I'm doing my own
compilation, I would want to keep the source separate,
and I wouldn't want the version number in the prefix
since my management software (subversion) takes care
of that.. - but (especially for self supported sw) I
would expect to have multiple versions of the software
on the network, and some means of choosing which
version (ie http://modules.sourceforge.net is my
current choice - I use it right now for commercial
tools for which I have several versions (mainly
because not all the licenses were upgraded to allow
use of the latest version, so I have to keep the older
ones around.. )

Its not that I want to keep the source secret, its
just my end users don't like to do software.

Jonathan
(hey I actually did install gnucap (0.34) on my ubuntu
box.. !!)

> Al Wrote:
> To the old one, Dan commeted -- be sure to include
> the version
> number in the path.
>
> I add to that -- and the architecture, like "netbsd"
> or
> whatever.
>
> I am thinking that can be part of /prefix/, because
> different
> people have different ideas of how that should be
> set up.
> The "configure" script should default to a way that
> includes
> all that.
>
> /prefix/ is likely to be something like:
>  /usr/share/gnucap/1.0/x86_64-linux-gnu
> Autoconf users will probably just say "/usr/share"
> for this.
> The rest will be automatic.
>
> Putting it all in /prefix/ makes it easy to install
> and
> uninstall .. just "cp -r" or "rm -r".  Even if we
> use tools to
> do it, it is nice if it is clean under the hood.

Jonathan David
address@hidden
address@hidden
http://ieee-jbdavid.blogspot.com