Re: [Gnucap-devel] installation --where to put things

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] installation --where to put things
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:03:54 -0400

On Wednesday 04 April 2007 16:14, Jonathan David wrote:
> My comment on this would be that If I'm doing my own
> compilation, I would want to keep the source separate,
> and I wouldn't want the version number in the prefix
> since my management software (subversion) takes care
> of that.. - but (especially for self supported sw) I
> would expect to have multiple versions of the software
> on the network, and some means of choosing which
> version (ie http://modules.sourceforge.net is my
> current choice - I use it right now for commercial
> tools for which I have several versions (mainly
> because not all the licenses were upgraded to allow
> use of the latest version, so I have to keep the older
> ones around.. )

That's good.  The scheme I proposed supports that approach.

Excerpt from http://modules.sourceforge.net/
===========
% module load gcc/3.1.1
% which gcc
/usr/local/gcc/3.1.1/linux/bin/gcc
=======  That's /prefix/ = /usr/local/gcc/3.1.1/linux/
Now we'll switch to a different version of the module
% module switch gcc gcc/3.2.0
% which gcc
/usr/local/gcc/3.2.0/linux/bin/gcc
=======  That's /prefix/ = /usr/local/gcc/3.2.0/linux/

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 20:01, al davis wrote:
> I am thinking that can be part of /prefix/, because different
> people have different ideas of how that should be set up.
> The "configure" script should default to a way that includes
> all that.
>
> /prefix/ is likely to be something like:
>  /usr/share/gnucap/1.0/x86_64-linux-gnu
> Autoconf users will probably just say "/usr/share" for this.
>   The rest will be automatic.

So in this case, you could:
=======
% module load gnucap/1.0
% which gnucap
/usr/share/gnucap/1.0/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/gnucap

% module switch gnucap gnucap/2007-05-06
% which gnucap
/usr/share/gnucap/2007-05-06/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/gnucap
=======

So it looks like it should work as I proposed.