Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap & CVS

From: Al Davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap & CVS
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:25:38 -0700

On Thursday 12 December 2002 11:08 am, xhecs wrote:
> Does anybody know where I can get the older version of the
> gnucap source? I am hoping that by studying the changes
> between acs-0.01 to gnucap-0.32 I would be able to understand
> how it works.

In a few days I will put the old versions somewhere that you
can get them.

Actually, I don't recommend this approach.  The early versions
of ACS are more like academic code, that experiments with a new
concept, giving a low priority to maintainability.  If you want
to study it, you are better off with the current version.

At times, I have considered releasing a stripped down version
for study.  This stripped version would use the same
architecture as Gnucap, but have only Spice-style algorithms.
I was planning to call it "ACCS", for "Al's Cheap Circuit
Simulator".

I doubt if this will ever happen.  I can't even keep up with
the needed work on Gnucap.  Adding another one will only make
it worse.

Ideally, I could produce a real internals document.  There is
so much there I don't know where to start.  Also, it would take
time away from new development.

My recommendation is to dig in, and ask questions on this list.
 That will help decide what part of the documentation gets done
first.  Any answers will eventually make their way into the
official documentation.

I apologize for the lack of progress in the last year or so.  I
thought that by taking a university faculty position I would
have more time to work on it, and be able to get others
involved with it and the associated research.  This has not
happened.  I am working on a solution to this problem.

al.