gnuastro-devel

[task #15803] Match program should build k-d tree and later read from it

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15803] Match program should build k-d tree and later read from it
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 17:28:27 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #3, task #15803 (project gnuastro):

After the first implementation is complete, we can add an internal/automatic
decision to use k-d trees or not.

This is the scenario I have in mind: we test both matching scenarios by
increasing the size of one (or both) catalog(s) gradually. At first (for
example maybe when there are only 100 rows), the simple default matching
should be faster.

But as the number increases, from some point, the k-d tree should become
faster (accounting for the number of threads). We can then automatically
decide to use a k-d tree instead of the basic matching.

In terms of implementation, we can add a new k-d tree mode:
'--kdtree=automatic'.

In this scenario, the default value to '--kdtree' (in the main configuration
file of Match
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/bin/match/astmatch.conf>)
can be set to 'automatic'. However, in such a scenario, the user would have to
have the option to disable k-d trees, so we should also add a "--kdtree=none"
mode (which will definitely use the basic matching).

But this should be tested and done after we finish the initial implementation.
So it isn't urgent now. I am just writing it here so we don't forget ;-).

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15803>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/