gnuastro-devel

[task #15803] Match program should build k-d tree and later read from it

From: Sachin Kumar Singh
Subject: [task #15803] Match program should build k-d tree and later read from it
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:49:59 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #1, task #15803 (project gnuastro):

I'm about to begin with the implementation of this task and just wanted to
discuss the details of the implementation.

So, we simply have to add a --kdtree option in the match program which takes 2
parameters. If the parameter is `build`, we will make a KD tree using the X, Y
coordinates in `large.fits` using the `gal_kdtree_create` function and we can
output the kdtree in a file using the --output option.

Next for matching the coordinates in the `small.fits` it will use the
`gal_kdtree_nearest_neighbour` to match each point in the `small.fits` to the
nearest neighbor in the kd-tree.

If the above case is okay, I think the command should look as below, because
now the call to `large.fits` is redundant as it is used to create kdtree which
has already been done.

astmatch small.fits --ccol1=X,Y --kdtree=kdtree.fits

But I also understand that using the command below is more similar to how
`astmatch` it is normally used and hence much more familiar to the users.

astmatch large.fits small.fits --ccol1=X,Y --ccol2=X,Y \
         --kdtree=kdtree.fits

What do you think?

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15803>

  Message sent via Savannah