gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [bug #49926] Add a BibTeX .bib file for all references

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [bug #49926] Add a BibTeX .bib file for all references used in the book
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 00:00:58 +0000 (UTC)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

BibLaTeX was initially used in the bootstrapping to make a uniformly formated
reference list, so when we want to cite paper/books within the book, it can be
done in a consistent manner. Unfortunately Texinfo doesn't currently support
bibliography. So it was intended that the `doc/plotsrc/all.pdf' file (which is
generated at bootstrapping time) also builds a bibliography list, and the book
authors can just manually copy and past the bibliography of the source they
need into the proper part of the book.

So I was surprized to see that as it stands now, there is actually no `.bib'
file and while BibLaTeX is loaded into LaTeX, its not actually used! This is a
bug, we must add the `.bib' file and actually use it to have a consistent
bibliography in the book.

Currently the bibliography is in the form of footnotes, but it might be better
to add an appendix for bibliography and simply copy and past the list in
`doc/plotsrc/all.pdf'. For the time being there aren't too many paper
citations, but it will definitely grow.

Also, BibLaTeX is (atleast currently) less common than BibTeX, so as part of
this bug, we can also correct `doc/plotsrc/all.tex' to use BibTeX instead of
BibLaTeX.

If you can think of a better way to create/manage bibliography in the book,
please share your thoughts here.

This issue was recognized following bug #49925.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49926>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/