gnu-system-discuss

Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2019 20:34:16 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2019 13:04:19 -0500
>
>   > Smerge mode is a minor mode, so I don't see why you'd want to turn it
>   > off, it doesn't get in the way of your editing in any way.
>
> When I got the conflict, it displayed several windows.  I did not know
> what these windows were showing me, so I was totally unable to
> proceed.  I did not dare try to find out by trial and error what those
> windows were showing, not when committing something to the Emacs
> master!  All I could do was stop and touch nothing.
>
> Was it Smerge mode which put up those windows?
> Or was it something else?

It couldn't have been Smerge mode, because that one doesn't show any
windows, AFAIK.  It just fontifies the conflicted area specially, and
enables several specialized commands, bound to "C-c ^ X", where X is a
character (e.g., "C-c ^ n" moves to the next conflict).  Maybe you
invoked some command without meaning it; the only command that I can
imagine showing additional windows is smerge-ediff, which runs Ediff
to show the revisions involved in the conflict.

> Was one of those windows a buffer I could simply edit
> manually?  If so, which one is it?  If I delete the other windows
> and edit manually, will that enable me to proceed by msnusl merging?

Yes, you should simply edit the buffer visiting the file with the
merge conflicts normally, then save it; any other windows can be
deleted, and shouldn't affect the conflict resolution in the first
place.  After resolving the conflicts, remember to commit the results
by saying "git commit".