gnu-system-discuss

Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 22:26:51 -0500

  > The only difference is that after resolving the conflicts you need to
  > say "git commit", so that the conflict resolution is recorded in your
  > local repository.

That would be easy enough, but I did not get that far.

  > This is already happening.  The merge conflict markers are identical,
  > at least by default.  When you edit a file with the markers, Emacs
  > automatically turns on the smerge-mode, which stages the files for
  > commit when you save them after resolving the conflicts.

I have never used smerge mode, and when I was dropped into it without
warning or explanation, I couldn't figure out what to.

Can I turn that off?  What would it do if it didn't go into smerge mode?
Would it give me an ordinary file showing the conflicts in the CVS way?

If smerge mode is useful in this situation, how about making its use
into an option supported for all back-ends for which conflicts are possible?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)