gnu-system-discuss

Re: “Free Software should be community developed†(was: (Really) Free

From: gameonlinux
Subject: Re: “Free Software should be community developed†(was: (Really) Free Software future)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 17:24:30 +0000

Just to note: these foundations (Gnome foundation, Mozilla foundation, etc) may be non-profits, but they are companies. They just put their profits into salaries instead. The development model is the same: hireling slavish like cattle people are gathered by promise of money so they can impress "wuhman".

They do whatever they are told to get that money for "muh wuhman".
Or whatever idol they have placed in the place of the standard idol.

Thus they behave just like the proprietary companies.

On 2019-11-07 04:43, Richard Stallman wrote:

  > > Free Software should be community developed. There is no problem
  > > for companies to contribute but they absolutely should not be
  > > the the driven factor.

  > Iʼm afraid, implementing that maxim would undermine the goal of
  > the free software movement, which is to make _all_ software free
  > (= eliminate nonfree software);

My view is somewhere between those two statements.
We should not let companies dominate the free software movement,
but we encourage companies to develop and release free programs.