gnu-system-discuss

Re: Why will no-one sue GrSecurity for their blatant GPL violation (of G

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: Why will no-one sue GrSecurity for their blatant GPL violation (of GCC and the linux kernel)?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 12:19:12 +0100

On 31/10/19 20:23, address@hidden wrote:
> RMS:
> Could you share your thoughts, if any, of why no one will sue GrSecurity
> ("Open Source Security" (a Pennsylvania company)) for their blatant
> violation of section 6 of version 2 of the GNU General Public License?
>
> Both regarding their GCC plugins and their Linux-Kernel patch which is a
> non-separable derivative work?
>
> They distribute such under a no-redistribution agreement to paying
> customers (the is the only distribution they do). If the customer
> redistributes the derivative works they are punished.

IANAL, but see after my signature an email about a similar case.
Unfortunately some pieces of that story are lost to bitrot and broken
links, but the text quoted there is from a former GPL compliance manager
at the FSF.

tl;dr, the GPL does not forbid GrSecurity from rejecting money from
people that have exercised their rights under the GPL.  And anyway, if
anything it would be a breach of contract law (similar to some episodes
involving gay marriage) and not copyright.

Should a future GPLv4 cover this case?  Is it even possible?  I have no
idea and this is off topic anyway, so let's all cut this thread short.

Paolo