gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Proposal to revise FSDG to exclude SaaSS-only soft

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Proposal to revise FSDG to exclude SaaSS-only software clients
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 00:44:13 -0400

  > Since this issue has been discussed extensively on the issue on the
  > parabola tracker linked below in the original message, I think it is
  > fair to present my view on the arguments below,

You're basically right in analyzing this issue.

However, I think I should look at the actual conditions that are
placed on use of the Telegram server, and see if there is anything in
them that has the effect of unreasonably negating the user's freedom
to change the client program.  In principle, that might be so.

As for the privacy issues, they are important, but they are not part
of the question of whether the Telegram client is libre software.
Rather, they are part of the practical question of how good the
program is to use.

Meanwhile, given the existing Parabola GNU/Linux and Hyperbola GNU/Linux,
I propose to rename Arch GNU/Linux to Ellipse GNU/Linux ;-}.

--
Dr Richard Stallman