gnu-linux-libre

[GNU-linux-libre] The purpose of this List (Was: Proposal to revise FSDG

From: Andreas Grapentin
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] The purpose of this List (Was: Proposal to revise FSDG to exclude SaaSS-only software clients)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 06:30:33 +0200

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 04:04:45PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> You wrote "the purpose of this work-group is to make decisions which affect
> all FSDG distros - if this work-group concludes that some program is unfit,
> parabola would remove it immediately, and the others should too".
>
> Who are the members of the work-group, and how are decisions made?

"Workgroup for fully free GNU/Linux distributions" is the name of this
list. (gnu-linux-libre@nongnu.org). I understand "members of the work
group" to mean people participating in discussions on this list.

I also would expect there to be representatives of all FSDG-compliant
distributions active on this list, to jointly discuss emergent issues of
software freedom, and to reach consensus on matters of software
blacklisting. It also helps that the list archives serve as a bit of an
archive of when and why certain software was evaluated to be fit or
unfit to be distributed under the FSDG.

In our (parabola's) experience, most of the time, these issues are not
raised here on this list and are instead adressed by the distributions
in isolation. This is fine for trivial issues, but for larger ones that
are not immediately clear, or ones where there are conflicting opinions
within the maintainer team or with external third parties, I think this
list (or this work-group) helps a lot. I think it is a valuable asset to
the ecosystem of fully free distributions.

Best,
Andreas

my GPG Public Key:                 https://files.grapentin.org/.gpg/public.key