gnu-c++-standards

Re: C++ code indentation for GNU

From: James Youngman
Subject: Re: C++ code indentation for GNU
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 20:47:40 +0100

Clearly nobody wants automatically indenting code according to the
style guide to make our code less readable.  I don't want to dismiss
poor tool support with "well it's just implementing a recommendation,
you can fix the tool's output by hand" because that would just cause
too much repeated fighting with the tooling.     I think we should
agree a coding style that makes sense, and then try to adapt the
tooling to it.   If the tools need patches to make them work well,
then we can make patches.

One possible exception to the "good style first, adapt the tooling to
suit it" approach could be where a style choice must be made (e.g. so
that the automated formatting rules can be implemented) but where
there is no clear "best" option.  The quality of tool support for the
options under consideration could be a factor we could bear in mind.

Before declaring the style guide "done" we should ensure that at least
_one_ (perhaps patched) tool formats code consistently with it, to
make sure that we avoid accidentally making a style guide which can't
be implemented using _any_ actual tool.

James.