gnu-c++-standards

Re: C++ code indentation for GNU

From: Ian Lance Taylor
Subject: Re: C++ code indentation for GNU
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 07:18:43 -0700

James Youngman <address@hidden> writes:

> In the same spirit, I'd like to discuss how C++ code should be laid
> out in GNU.   As I'm sure you've found before, discussion of code
> layout can give rise to immense amounts of bike-shedding.   Hence I'd
> like to propose a somewhat narrow scope for this discussion:
>
> 1. I'd like to retain the spirit of the GNU C style rules.   I'd
> prefer not to change things for the C++recommendations which would
> imply changes to the C recommendations for the sake of consistency.
> 2. I'd like it to be possible to update GNU tooling (e.g. Emacs' C++
> mode, perhaps GNU indent).   Maybe that means helping make those
> changes, or just ensuring that our recommendations are clear and
> specific, with examples.
> 3. I'd like us to consider how our recommendations would likely be
> received by GNU contributors generally. Making recommendations that
> are widely ignored would be a waste of time.

When discussing formatting, we should keep the clang-format tool in mind
(https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangFormat.html).  It's from the LLVM
project, and it's not under the GPL, but it is free software.  We should
adopt a standard .clang-format file for GNU code.  And, of course,
ideally someone would add the same functionality to GNU indent.

As far as the actual formatting goes, I don't see any reason not to
follow the format used by the GCC source code
(https://gcc.gnu.org/codingconventions.html#Cxx_Formatting).  To me it
seems like a straightforward extension of the GNU C formatting
conventions.

Ian