Re: Gnokii hangs on ttyUSB0 at an ioctl

From: rishi pathak
Subject: Re: Gnokii hangs on ttyUSB0 at an ioctl
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 19:06:15 +0530

Hi Ligesh,
           I kind of confirmed that the problem is with usbserial kernel module.
           The work around to this problem is to keep the device busy.
           In my case our sms server recieves sms sending requests from various client applications.The protocol used is a modified version of SMASH protocol.Very often server had no requests to process and would sit idle.This caused gnokii to hang(Server uses gnokii to send sms).
To resolve this issue i am now checking battery status and signal status at particular interval of time.
i know this is the right way.If you get another solution this problem then let me know about it.
Regards--
Rishi

On 12/1/06, Ligesh <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 06:39:04PM +0530, rishi pathak wrote:
> Could you post debug messages.
> There is a problem with usbserial module.It kind of behaves badly when not
> used for some time.
> Sometimes the device corresponding to cell phone i.e. /dev/ttyUSB0 shifts to
> /dev/ttyUSB1, and this process continues.
> Run gnokii in debug mode and see the debug messages

Yeah, I have the that problem too. The ttyUSB device keeps switching. Actually the debug message wasn't really helpful--at least as far as I could make out--, which is why I posted the strace, which shows it hanging exactly at the ioctl always. In debug mode, it just says opening /dev/ttyUSB0 and hangs there indefinitely.

GNOKII Version 0.6.14
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Lockfile /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB0 is stale. Overriding it..
phone instance config:
model: 6020
port_device: /dev/ttyUSB0
connection_type: 0
init_length: 0
serial_baudrate: 19200
serial_write_usleep: -1
hardware_handshake: 0
require_dcd: 0
smsc_timeout: 100
connect_script:
disconnect_script:
rfcomm_cn: 1
sm_retry: off
Connecting
Serial device: opening device /dev/ttyUSB0