gnokii and the iPod

From: Daniele Forsi
Subject: gnokii and the iPod
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:58:17 +0100

The iPod Nano (and other iPods) can show contacts in VCF format if you put each vcard in a separate file in /mnt/ipod/Contacts/

What about adding an option to --getphonebook to save contacts in separate files? This way you just need to mount the iPod and use gnokii, no other program would be needed to sync the contacts.

I admit that people usually don't buy iPod's to carry around their phonebooks :-)

The idea is that you give a base-name (with possibly a path) and gnokii creates
base-name0.vcf
base-name1.vcf
base-name2.vcf
AFAIK the name is not important and one can use a different base-name for SM and ME phonebook if MT is not supported.

The format output by gnokii is compatible except that the iPod has 4 type of numbers (this may depend on firmware revision):

tel;type=home:<<<home phone>>>
tel;type=work:<<<work phone>>>
tel;type=cell:<<<cell phone>>>
tel;type=fax:<<<fax number>>>

all othe types are displayed as "work"; this is the case when your phone has the simple phonebook with a single number that gnokii prints as TEL;VOICE:

There might be issues with char encodings. I see that in gtkpod (which prompted me to experiment) they use iconv for the encoding and an awk script to split the vcards in sync-ldif.sh but it doens't like the ldif made by gnokii becasue it needs familyname.

--
Daniele