Re: Xgnokii problems

From: Daniele Forsi
Subject: Re: Xgnokii problems
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:02:07 +0100

Andrew Myers wrote:
> if I launch xgnokii I get the message:
>
> GLib-ERROR **: could not allocate 1073742595 bytes
> aborting...
> Aborted

> Does anyone know what this means?

xgnokii is checking if you are using an unsupported locale but the check works
only if your current locale name has a dot in it (eg. en_US.UTF8)

use this command as a workaround (it will use English messages):
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF8.; xgnokii &
(in fact LC_MESSAGES=. would be enough)

Look at line 2362 of xgnokii.c in the CVS:
        /* we have set en_US.UTF8 locale that is not supported by xgnokii */
        if (!LocaleHelpExists(xgnokiiConfig.help_locale)) {
                char *pos = strchr(xgnokiiConfig.locale, '.');
                g_free(xgnokiiConfig.help_locale);

here after line 2365 it should do something like
                if (!pos) {
                        xgnokiiConfig.help_locale = g_strdup("en_US");
                        return;
                }

Daniele