Re: Problems sending SMSes with 6210

From: BORBELY Zoltan
Subject: Re: Problems sending SMSes with 6210
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 01:15:49 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:46:22AM +0100, Pawel Kot wrote:

> > - First of all it is veeeeery slow (As described on Feb. 22th. from
> > pulleman et. al.  Also using USB!!)
>
> Hmmm... I think we have some problem with usb connection
> handling.

This is a quite interesting problem. Non-linux users (e.g. Mac OSX,
FreeBSD) report problems related with retransmissions. Maybe these
platforms (and Linux with USB serial?) use a lower serial write buffer.
Our write function (in serial_write) didn't handle error case correctly.
I improved it a bit, maybe this will solve the problem.

> > - Besides that, it is working fine for short SMSes (just say "hello"
> or
> > "test")  see attached "workingSMS".
> > - With longer SMSes there is (reproducable) a timeout occurring after
> the
> > transmission
> >    of the first data block, and the transmission fails. See attached
> > "nonWorkingSMS"
> > - Same kind of timeouts seems to occur at other occations (maybe the
> reason
> > for beeing so slow).
>
> Uechh... Bozo in which gnokii version were the retransmission changes?
> I'd like Kurt and others to test this version.

I took a look into the traces. It contains retransmissions, because the
phone didn't send the acknowledge frame (and this is the correct behaviour).
If the write() isn't succeeds it can be the true reason behind these
problems (a longer frame may overflows the kernel buffer and the phone
gets only a truncated frame).

Please checkout the current cvs and test it again. If the problem still
presents please send us another debug output.

Bye,
Bozo