Re: gnokiid and nokia 6310i

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: gnokiid and nokia 6310i
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:00:45 +0100 (CET)

On 5 Jan 2003, Christian Rogne wrote:

> When I started gnokiid i got the following :
>
> address@hidden root]# gnokiid
> GNOKIID Version 0.5.0pre2

Okay, this is a new entry in the FAQ. You didn't try to find the answer in
the archive, did you?

Q: gnokiid seems to not work with my 6210/6310/.... What's wrong?

A: gnokiid is a software modem emulator. It was written with a purpose to
use AT commands with the phones that don't have hardware modem with AT
command parser build it. Such phones are: Nokia 61X0 and Nokia 51X0. With
the modern phones there's no need to use gnokiid, eg. Nokia 6210 and Nokia
6310 do understand AT phones. So when you want to make a data connection,
you don't need gnokii, just use pppd. And when you want to use AT commands
explicitely, either use gnokii with "model = AT" or minicom/kermit and
type there your commands.

Anyone to fix the grammar? Moreover I'll add model checking to gnokiid.
AFAIK Nokia 61X0 and Nokia 51X0 should work with gnokiid. Ay others? 3810?
3110? 8150?

pkot