Re: [gNewSense-users] HPLIP plugin

From: alexus / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] HPLIP plugin
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:24:36 +0200

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 20:02:58 +1030, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 20:22:39 -0500
Stuart Thayer <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

With Gnewsense, like Mint, moving to Debian, I'm afraid my
printer won't work anymore. It seems that Ubuntu is configuring
something no one else is.

Potentially so. If its configuring something proprietary that may not
be a feature though :)
kk

Neither a Web search nor the Ubuntu forums were helpful. I'd
rather stay with Gnewsense, but I don't want to forgo the next
upgrade.

Stuart

See:

http://trisquel.info/es/forum/trisquel-35-release-candidate-published
look into this page for 'p1006' or 'flop:')

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/combined.html
look into this page for 'p1006', and see also note8:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/combined.html#note8

As you will read:
"This printer REQUIRES a downloadable driver plug-in. Use hp-setup to install the printer, and to download and install the plug-in. In general, required driver plugins are required for printing support. Driver plug-ins are released under a proprietary (non-open) license and are not part of the HPLIP tarball release."

Probably, the required propietary software required is the reason why the non free hardware of this printer has "problems" working with HPLIP when using Libre (100% free) GNU/Linux distributions.

Note that the "problems" are fully related with the printer (which needs a proprietary firmware to work), NOT with the Libre GNU/Linux distributions.

Regards
al3xu5 / dotcommon

--
Support free software! Join FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7535