Re: [gNewSense-users] Suggestion

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Suggestion
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 20:38:43 +0930

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 02:05:09 -0300
"VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > yet having documentation that is wrong as a result of the packaging
> > process is stupid.
> > kk
> >

> It is more stupid when the documentation is WRONG or INCOMPLETE
> just because someone wanted to put the name "Debian" on it.

can you give an example? I'm interested to see them.

> I've come from two OSes that may give you some technical insight:
>
> Slackware:
>
>  Unlike Debian, Slackware does not make the lots of modifications
>  to the software and documentation it ships, the documentation is

I hope they make changes required for (eg) FHS/LSB compliance.

>  A LOT better than that of Debian. The software too, in general.
>  It's a shame that they include lots of non-free by default.

You keep saying this, but you don't provide any examples.

> OpenBSD:
>
>  OpenBSD has an reputation of being the system with the best
>  documentation ever. EVERYTHING on the core system, from userland
>  to drivers, is 100% documented.

Sounds admirable (and i'm not being sarcastic, fwiw).

However.
I've never developed or used either platform, so i can't comment on
your assertions about them.

> I know gNewSense aims are very different, but I believe the
> documentation issue is VERY important.

doco is important. you don't have a monopoly on thinking that.

> Also,  Debian does not include documentation (or includes it
> incomplete) for LOTS of GNU software because of the verbatim
> parts. gNewSense policies are different.

This is a different issue.

> I don't want to be harsh or unfriendly, but I'm sad to say
> that the documentation for Debian ships are horrible.

Are you talking about debian specific documentation, or documentation
for programs shipped in debian, or some other documentation?

> I know I'm being a "jerk" because I'm asking things and not
> submitting patches, but I think that good documentation would
> give gNewSense a great technical advantage over Debian.

Perhaps it would. volunteer to help the doco people and make it so...

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au