Re: [gNewSense-users] Why not make a version of Debian GNU/Linux

From: Max Moritz Sievers
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Why not make a version of Debian GNU/Linux
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:20:18 +0100

Paul O'Malley wrote:
> > But there would be advantages if gNewSense was a version of Debian
> > GNU/Linux with only main and the Firmware removed from Linux:
> > - not derived from a »Linux«
>
> I don't understand, my take on it is that all are derived from kernel.org.

Yes they all use Linux but I don't like to call the operating system Linux.
Like Chris F.A. Johnson just did and also claimed it would be a variety of
Unix. Legally it is quite important that GNU's Not Unix. And it is also
important to recognise GNU/Linux as a GNU variant as RMS states in his
speeches like: http://fsfeurope.org/documents/rms-fs-2006-03-09.en.html

> > - does not ship Firefox
>
> Being worked on here.

Ubuntu is going to make a special solution for Mozilla software and is not
quitting its distribution---unlike Debian.

> > - much more install options (e.g. USB memory stick)
>
> Each version would cost us a lot of effort for time we have not got or
> won't expend as we have other things going on.
>
> > - much more supported platforms
>
> See last comment.

I don't see what's the effort here.  If it were not the non-free firmware in
Linux I guess I could do it myself in a few hours or at least a few days
(becuase I never build a distribution before). I am suggesting to use Debian
GNU/Linux and just deliver only main. If there weren't the issues with Linux
this way we would have everything we want (in this matter). They already have
CD/DVD, (inofficial LiveCD/DVD), USB memory stick, boot up install, automated
install. We also didn't have to set up our own mirror.

Becuase of the non-free firmware in Linux we would have to build every install
image ourselves. So maybe we wouldn't substitute everything at first. But I
guess we could get Debian developers to help us if we would make gNewSense
(or a new name) more a version of Debian GNU/Linux than a derived
distribution.

--
Regards,
Max Moritz Sievers