[gNewSense-users] Why not make a version of Debian GNU/Linux

From: Max Moritz Sievers
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Why not make a version of Debian GNU/Linux
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:05:53 +0100

Hi,

I wonder myself why gNewSense isn't directly derived from Debian GNU/Linux. I
don't see an advantage using Ubuntu Linux as the base. But there would be
advantages if gNewSense was a version of Debian GNU/Linux with only main and
the Firmware removed from Linux:
- not derived from a »Linux«
- does not ship Firefox
- much more install options (e.g. USB memory stick)
- much more supported platforms

I haven't performed an install of Ubuntu Linux yet but I have heard it were
more »user friendly« because of its improved hardware support and its nicer
graphics. As gNewSense has less hardware supported because of the removed
firmware the first argument doesn't fly. The second either as with etch
Debian GNU/Linux will have also a »graphical« installer.

--
Regards,
Max Moritz Sievers