Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Current Status (and Wiki Performance)

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Current Status (and Wiki Performance)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 23:02:47 +0200

Op Tue, 30 Aug 2016 23:22:07 +0200
schreef Paul Boddie <address@hidden>:

> Well, to begin with, I'd target the Ben NanoNote, which is a fairly
> old system now with limited performance but which does run Debian.

Cool. I have one of those lying around. I did run gNewSense on it once,
but then other stuff came up and it's been gathering dust for a while
now. It would be neat to have it running again.

> I did hope to experiment with the jz4775 computer card that looked as
> if it might be delivered in the EOMA68 campaign, but that's not
> looking likely as a near-term product.
>
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
> http://rhombus-tech.net/ingenic/jz4775/

Shame. It would be nice if we could have FSF endorsed hardware as a
build machine.

> We're talking about Ingenic SoCs here, with the Ben NanoNote already
> supported in the Linux kernel (QI_LB60). I built the 4.7.2 release
> and it actually ran on the Ben and my Debian installation worked with
> it, too. The people involved have done a great job keeping support
> for the Ben up to date.
>
> I'm not necessarily planning to get one, but the MIPS Creator CI20
> uses a jz4780 SoC and runs Debian. The GCW-Zero handheld games
> console (apparently somewhat difficult to obtain) uses the jz4770.
> Once upon a time, there was a mini-PC available with a variety of
> branding which uses the jz4730, but that SoC is severely
> under-documented, although I do plan to get recent software working
> on it some day.

I was actually considering dropping mipsel support after Debian Jessie,
because Debian then no longer supports the Yeeloong [1]. But if there
are other mipsel machines that are worth supporting (and still
supported by Debian) then we might keep it. But then I'd need some
hardware that can build and run it. Maybe the CI20 is a potential build
machine?

> I can easily check with various other Moin users to see which
> strategy works best. Sometimes, just using mod_wsgi seems to work
> out. Getting to know the nature of the load you're experiencing may
> be useful in improving the problem, though.

Indeed. In the beginning it was spambots. They're still at it, but not
all that heavy according to web server logs. So now I'm not sure.

> I'm no deployment expert, but I can offer some experience on
> configuring Moin to resist problematic and demanding usage.

I appreciate any tips. But sometimes it responds fairly quickly, so I'm
not sure Moin configuration is the problem.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2015/09/msg00023.html