Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Installation on a Thinkpad X60 (i386) with libreboot

From: Marcus Moeller
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Installation on a Thinkpad X60 (i386) with libreboot
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 13:18:29 +0200

Hi.

> I installed Ucclia on a Thinkpad X60 with libreboot.
> That's what I came across so far:
>
> - internal disk is detected as /dev/sdb and the usb key as
> /dev/sda (but no problem because 'Libreboot uses the GRUB payload by
> default, which means that the GRUB configuration file (where your GRUB
> menu comes from) is stored directly alongside libreboot and it's GRUB
> payload executable, inside the flash chip.' -> 'you don't have to
> install the GRUB boot loader to the master boot record' so no need of
> setting up Grub on your hard disk)

This is a know bug in the version of the debian-installer that is used.
You can select not to install Grub in the MBR and in the next step
define /dev/sdb as target for the GRUB installation. After bootup, just
set a symlink ln -s /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/libreboot_grub.cfg
and it should chainload the local grub on disk.

> - Uncheck desktop environment when reaching tasksel -> otherwise the
> installation cancels

Works for me here.

> - black screen after reboot -> I managed to get to the console by
> rebooting the system with the keyboard shortcut again

Also works here on a X60 with Libreboot. But I was also able to install
using the Desktop Environment selection.

> - Installation of xfce and slim display manager -> works fine
>
> - Problem with high whining noise by the processor on idle: powertop
> solves this problem: http://libreboot.org/docs/misc/index.html
>
> - apt-get install libstdc++
> or been moved out of Incoming.

Not tested.