Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Something I want to ask

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Something I want to ask
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 22:06:48 +0200

Op Sat, 26 Jul 2014 00:34:09 -0700
schreef Isai Ruiz <address@hidden>:

> I have learned the basic syntax for java and python also through
> lots of books and self study but didn't really know what to do with
> it. So by now I probably don't remember most of the syntax anymore
> but I am really, really interested in programming and I was wondering
> if you guys teach that, or if you guys don't, then at least point me
> in the direction you guys think I should do some more self study as a
> beginner.

We don't teach a programming course as such. The "want to learn" bit is
about studying the code we have (e.g. debderiver [1]) and asking
questions about the parts you don't understand or contributing bug
fixes or feature enhancements.

If you already have some programming experience and want to learn from
existing code then look at some bigger projects. I've heard good things
about code quality at Trac, Django and GNU MediaGoblin, though I
haven't studied them much myself.

Scratching an itch is always a good way to get better at programming.
Try to solve bugs that annoy you in software programmed in a language
you know or look at bug reports at the project's (or Debian's) website
to help other people.

[1] http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/debderiver/files