Re: [Gnewsense-dev] RFC: Translations

From: Felipe Lopez
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] RFC: Translations
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 18:03:43 -0500

2013/12/5 gNewSense Live user <address@hidden>
> >         I believe the language code in the widget is currently limited
> >         to 2
> >         letters.
> >
> > Yes, the widget is limited to ISO 639-1 (2 letter codes) [1]. But I
> > can
> > update it to accept zh_TW, pt_BR, etc.
> >
> > I'll start updating it right now if no one opposes. So what do you
> > say?
>
> May I know how you will update it to accept characters like zh_TW and
> pt_BR?

More precisely, may I know how will you update the translations widget
to accept two different but similar translations? For example, zh_TW and
zh_CN. Changing the limitation of language codes in the widget from 2
letters to 5 letters? Or use tw and cn respectively? For me, I prefer
the later one. I'd like to know your idea too.

Ah! I'm thinking on using IETF language tag [4]. So, for every language variation there will be a link in the translation widget and every language variation will have its own section in the wiki. For example, if we have Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese, the widget will list:

* Portuguese (pt) (which links to gNewSense.org/pt/etc)
* Portuguese (pt_BR) (which links to gNewSense.org/pt_BR/etc)

[4]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IETF_language_tag

Thanks.