[Gnewsense-dev] OpenEC on OLPC XO 1.75

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] OpenEC on OLPC XO 1.75
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 23:19:54 -0400

FYI no code yet, but promises that may help the effort to get OpenEC
working on Lemote Yeeloong...

>From http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2010-July/029257.html

EC-1.75 open source EC code:
============================

OLPC is proud to announce that the XO-1.75 embedded controller will
have an open codebase (with a small exception, see below).  After much
behind-the-scenes effort, EnE has agreed to provide us with a public
version of the KB3930 datasheet and is allowing our new code to be
made public.

The code is not available yet due to a few chunks of proprietary code
that need to be purged and some other reformatting.  A much more
detailed announcement will be provided once the new code is pushed to
a public repository.  The code will be licensed under the GPL with a
special exception for OLPC use.

The exception is because EnE has not released the low-level details on
the PS/2 interface in the KB3930, so there will be some code that is
not available -- relative to the codebase this is a very small amount
of code.  The GPL licensing exception will allow for linking against
this closed code.  We're going to investigate ways to move away from
this code in the future.  (As far as we're aware, this will make the
XO-1.75 the first laptop with open embedded controller code!)

--
        \|/      Daniel JB Clark | Activist; Owner
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com