Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Trying to master the Builder

From: Dmitry Samoyloff
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Trying to master the Builder
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 02:59:24 +0400

At Tue, 25 May 2010 23:47:40 +0200,
Sam Geeraerts wrote:

> Dmitry Samoyloff schreef:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Recently, I've backported gnash-0.8.7 to the gNewSense-2.3 and Sam Geeraerts
> > suggested me to make a patch for the Builder. The documentation I've found
> > is
> > somewhat sparse, so let me ask some questions here (please pardon me if they
> > are stupid, I'm a newbie in gNewSense development ;-)).
> >
> > 1. The page [1] seems to be relevant to my task, but it describes modifying
> > the version of package that is already in the original distro. I need to
> > add a
> > newer version of the package (supposedly to the backports repo), not just a
> > patched revision of the existing one. Can somebody point me to the example
> > of
> > such a change being done to the gNewSense already?
>
> If you branched Builder in bzr you'll find the packages specific to
> gNewSense in the packages/deltah/ directory. Your case is unusual
> because it's not a completely new package. I don't think that's a problem.

I see.

> > 2. Is it necessary to download all the GBs and rebuild everything else in a
> > distro to make my job done (adding a new version of a package to the
> > backports
> > repo)?
>
> You don't need all of it, but you would need enough of the Ubuntu mirror
> to debootstrap a chroot environment + the build dependencies of the
> package(s) you want to build. I don't know of an automated way to do that.

So, the workflow, as I see it, should be like that:

1. Build my own deltah mirror (at least partial) as described in
   HowToCreateYourOwnGNULinuxDistribution [1].
2. Make my changes to the Builder, so it would support a new version of
   Gnash.
3. Test my mirror locally.
4. Send a Builder patch to the mailing list.

> Alternatively, you could limit yourself to hardy main (so not include
> -security/-updates/-backports and universe) in your debmirror. We don't
> do 64 bit, so you can skip amd64 in any case.

But where gnash-0.8.7 should go actually, main or backports?

[1] http://www.gnewsense.org/Builder/HowToCreateYourOwnGNULinuxDistribution