[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Libre GNU/Linux PDAs (was: Re: Openmoko Mobile Phone

From: Wolfgang Spraul
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Libre GNU/Linux PDAs (was: Re: Openmoko Mobile Phone - About the software on it)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:57:56 +0000

> It looks like there is an Atheros AR6002 microSD wifi card [1,2,3,4];
> anyone have contacts with Japanese companies / KDDI / Mitsumi
> Electric?

Puh. One by one.

Openmoko used Atheros (6001) in the FreeRunner, and it was not a good
experience, for a number of reasons. Everybody tried hard, including
Atheros, but in the end we didn't make it. I think Atheros 5xxx and
9xxx have fairly good Linux drivers, and the 2425 as well (former ZyDAS).
6xxx is a troublemaker.

For the KDDI card, can you order it? AFAIK it was a 'demo-only' product
so far and no real production is planned.

The only generally available and working microSD Wi-Fi card I am aware of
is the Spectec SDW-823. It was out of stock for a few months at the end
of last year, but now available again in Taiwan.
Spectec's #1 distributor is Expansys, with fulfillment centers globally.
At Expansys the SDW-823 is listed as "due Jan 28" right now (on the UK
site), I guess if people put in orders at Expansys this should move
forward. The cards definitely exist in stock in Taipei.

We are evaluating how well those cards actually work in our Ben NanoNote.
Antenna sensitivity, power consumption, driver features.
The Spectec SDW-823 has a Renesas (former KeyStream) KS-7010 Wi-Fi chip
inside. GPL driver, binary firmware blob.
We do have fairly good relations with the KeyStream department inside
Renesas, if the evaluation of the SDW-823 on our NanoNotes comes out
positive, we will probably go back to Renesas and talk about new features
for the firmware (all the things Linux people like, such as thin firmware,
monitor/AP mode, mesh, etc).

But that's several steps down the road, not sure how far we make it.
If someone finds out news about the KDDI card, or gets in touch with them,
please keep the list posted we are definitely interested...
Wolfgang