[Gnewsense-dev] Libre GNU/Linux PDAs (was: Re: Openmoko Mobile Phone - A

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Libre GNU/Linux PDAs (was: Re: Openmoko Mobile Phone - About the software on it)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:35:03 -0500

Freemor wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:00:40 +0200
> Niklas Cholmkvist <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I'd like to add to this a request for any Free/Libre PDA's (without the
> phone part). My Palm Zire 72 is getting old and I'd like to upgrade to
> something that is Libre/Free... too bad the Zii Eggs aren't a going
> concern yet. (they look promising.)

Mirko: If there is an early access / developer program for the Ben
Nanonote, I and other gNewSense ( http://gnewsense.org ) hackers would
be interested in looking at it in order to look at getting gNewSense (a
free as in freedom Debian GNU/Linux decendant) working on it.

The only one I know of - which is actually free software and (to some
extent) hardware - is http://www.qi-hardware.com/products/ben-nanonote/

They hang out on #qi-hardware on freenode irc. I don't know exactly what
the timeline to availability is (later this quarter maybe [1]), but they
are already testing on real hardware.

It is fully supportable by free software, but the only internal wifi
solution (3rd party) at this point needs a binary blob (micro-SDIO;
couldn't find any Atheros 6k ones). However I think you could use free
external USB wifi dongles with it.

[1] Re: Is Nanonote orderable? from their mailing list