Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Is VLC free?

From: Benedikt Ahrens
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Is VLC free?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 23:09:34 +0200

crap0101 wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 19/08/2009 alle 12.46 +0200, address@hidden
> ha scritto:
>
>> Transrate directory which contains putvlc.h has been deleted 14 hours
>> ago, see
>> http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=commit;h=29d2ca92fc94a9407ed829539fe3403c6499970e.
>>  Then future releases of gNewSense should not have it
>> anymore.
>>
>> Christophe
>>

> anyway, i think we should provide the new source code without those
> files or, at least, patch ourself the current vlc version in the repo.
> Since vlc is actually provided in source code form only and has not
> dependence problems (or conflict witin other packages) the fist solution
> is more desirable than a patch or a purge (imo).
>
> what do you think?

The transrate folder should probably be removed. In the Debian bug
report [1] there was a link to a discussion [2] some time ago about
these files. Somebody questions the copyrightability of these files,
since they are basically tables of numbers.

But these files are considered completely useless by the developers, so
we could as well delete them from the package as is done in the latest
vlc version, instead of bothering the FSF legal dept.

ben

[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.videolan.vlc.devel/62337