Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Is VLC free?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Is VLC free?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:15:03 +0200

crap0101 schreef:
Il giorno lun, 17/08/2009 alle 23.16 +0930, Karl Goetz ha scritto:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:13:38 +0200
address@hidden wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm checking ubuntu hardy's vlc source at http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/v/vlc/vlc_0.8.6.release.e+x264svn20071224+faad2.6.1[...],
ubuntu 3.3 version, for freedom, and i wonder if the file
modules/stream_out/transrate/putvlc.h in the tarball is free. It
contains lots of binaries for which i cannot say what they're doing.

Could someone help us understanding what is it for? Note: this file comes from the MPEG Software Simulation Group.

Christophe
Like Ted said, i think is for mpeg encoding. It seems taken from ISO/IEC
13818-2 DIS.

From what I remember from image processing class this kind of arrays is normal for JPEG/MPEG stuff. I don't think we need to worry about blobs here.

I can't find ``putvlc.c''; the only file where putvlc.h is included is
``block.c''.

And in frame.c. There is no putvlc.c because this is just a bunch of definitions that don't require an implementation.

Is there a licence for the file or just a disclaimer of warranty? :|
kk

no, there's this copyright notice only:
/* Copyright (C) 1996, MPEG Software Simulation Group. All Rights
Reserved. */

I can't find anything useful about 13818-2 DIS Annex B except for code of free software projects. Any volunteers for asking the VLC guys about where they got it and why they think it can be used in free software?