RE: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo

From: Elias Angulo
Subject: RE: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:08:03 +0000

> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:06:22 +0300
> Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden; address@hidden
> CC:
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Karl Goetz<address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:40:50 +0000
> > Elias Angulo <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> >> Well, i think it have some advantages, as it can be updatet
> >> automatically by the system.. I will have the repo uptodate as soon
> >> new versions come. People with my repo enabled in his sources.list
> >> will only have to do:
> >>
> >> sudo apt-get update
> >> sudo apt-get upgrade
> >>
> >> and if they have a previous version of linux-libre kernel all will be
> >> Ok right?
> >>
> >> I think its better than checking http://aligunduz.org/gNewSense/ each
> >> time a new kernell appears. I have fixed the 'source downloading
> >> issue' in some way, you can download the source as a normal .deb
> >> package, with apt-get install instead of apt-get source.
> >>

> > I see.
> > Either way, I think you should approach ali and tell him about it.
>
> Don't worry, I'm always a silent observer around this list :)
>
> > if you'd done so before hand you would have had a chance to work together
> > on it ....
> > kk
>
> I used to maintain an apt repo for the free kernels, but stopped doing
> so after a while. Installing latest kernels on such a distro like gNS
> with a rather older collection of programs sometimes causes problems.
> (I remember X malfunctioning after one of the releases on some
> people's machines.) So, having people's kernels automatically
> upgrading is, in my opinion, prone to a great number of user problems
> that don't have to happen. And if you think freedom shoppe kernels are
> also used by users of other distros such as Ubuntu and Debian, the
> potential of user complaints just looks to big for me.
>
> Feel free to share your experience with kernel repo maintanence, Elias :)

Well, the server has been up since i set it up and its pretty stable. I reaches sometimes 100kb/s. At the moment im looking for the linux-libre kernel source in a tarball; perhaps the missing .dsc file would be in there. What i'm looking for is a kind of fle with the description and other stuff that dpgk-scansources can read. Here's a copy of part of man dkpg-scansources:

       dpkg-scansources scans the given binary-dir for .dsc files.  These  are
       used to create a Debian source index, which is output to stdout.

       The override-file, if given, is used to set priorities in the resulting
       index records and to override the maintainer field given  in  the  .dsc
       files. See dpkg-scanpackages(1) for the format of this file. NB:  Since
       the override file is indexed by binary, not source, packages, there’s a
       bit of a problem here. The current implementation uses the highest pri‐
       ority of all the binary packages produced by a .dsc file for the prior‐
       ity  of the source package, and the override entry for the first binary
       package listed in the .dsc file to modify maintainer information.  This
       might change.

So, Ali, if youre at charge of maintain those packages, could you make that file and a tar.gz for the source including it? I found strange, a source in a .deb package, its the first time i've seen.

The target of the repo its not only to host kernel-libre. I could host any Free package not available in other repos. It was idea of Ark74, calling it Libre Repo, for this purpose. Im open to suggestions. :D