Thoughts on Design Principles was Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Report of non-free

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
Subject: Thoughts on Design Principles was Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Report of non-free software in gNewSense
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 19:18:11 +0100

*maybe* we can safety upgrade the package using the version 2.2.2-8 from
the jaunty repos. I tried to install it ( and its dependence
fp-units-rtl )
~$ dpkg -i fp-compiler_2.2.2-8_i386.deb fp-units-rtl_2.2.2-8_i386.deb
and i got no errors or warnings, they works.

Or build a new package from the last version?

trying that is the fastest way to fall flat on your face

you end up having to manage lots of change

the success of gns has been driven by making it easy to repeat the steps forward - maybe it is time to expand this

When we initially sat down to design the way this system was built we did the following.

Rule 1:  anything you do must be easy to repeat

Rule 2: remember the changes you make increase the distance to your source and the work you must do for little return

The smaller the delta to upstream the easier it is to maintain.
If you change one thing make sure you are willing to keep maintaining that change.

This informed our lack of changes and importing, had we more support we would have been open to changing modality.

People are working hard on Lemote and I am wholly trilled to see this.

Perhaps it is time to look at a design of a system build differently.

Joining other distributions seems attractive at until you get up close, build methods are not well defined in my personal opinion, or they are not systems that are suitable for general use.

So where is this all going. You tell me! ;-)

Regards,
Paul