[Gnewsense-dev] Orchid repository

From: avr
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Orchid repository
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:12:07 +0100

Hi,

The gNewSense Orchid repository is now online in what I believe to
be a reasonably usable state for further development.

Disclaimer:
If most of the instructions below are unfamiliar to you it might be best
to wait for further development.
If all goes well you will end up in a non-graphical environment, which is
usable, but might not be what you expected. This is *not* a complete
port of the gNewSense operating system for your yeeloong.

Instructions:

Prepare a partition for holding a rootfs you can boot off.
(My yeeloong came with free space after the first partition. If this
is the factory default, this shouldn't be too hard). The partition I
used is /dev/hda4 and I mount it on /target; adjust these for your
own configuration in the following instructions.

go to /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts (install debootstrap first if it isn't
installed yet)
#ln -s lenny orchid

#mount /dev/hda4 /target

#debootstrap orchid /target http://mirror.softwarelibre.nl/orchid

edit the file /target/etc/shadow and remove the "!" in the row starting
with "root" so it (the password field) reads "::"

umount /target

reboot

before boot press "Del"

in the bootmonitor;
#set karg "console=tty root=/dev/hda4"
#reboot

This should prompt for login after some waiting looking
at a black screen (console messages show up under tty2 <alt-F2> for me)

log in as "root"

edit /etc/apt/sources.list to read (the nano-tiny editor is installed by
default)

deb http://mirror.softwarelibre.nl/orchid/ orchid main
deb-src http://mirror.softwarelibre.nl/orchid/ orchid main

configure your network (dynamically with dhclient or statically with ifconfig)
#apt-get update

>From here on you should be able to build packages; most relevant tools should
only be an "apt-get install" away.

To boot from the factory default os again:

before boot press "Del"
in the bootmonitor;
#set karg "console=tty root=/dev/hda1"
#reboot