[Gnewsense-dev] Fwd: Re: Lemote YeeLoong 8089 mips based notebook reposi

From: s . boutayeb
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Fwd: Re: Lemote YeeLoong 8089 mips based notebook repository switch
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:07:45 +0100

----- Forwarded message from address@hidden -----
    Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:51:40 +0800 (CST)
    From: address@hidden
      To: address@hidden

To rescue a yeeloong,we have several methods:
  download a rescue kernel from
http://www.lemote.com/software/8.9inch/loonux/V1.1.0/rescue

load it via usb, then you can have a shell in ramdisk to do things.

to reinstall the whole machine, just put the whole V1.1.0 directory into a
usb stick or disk(first ext2/3 partition, root directory), then use the
'recover' function of the pmon(press tab key during boot up).

For more about pmon, we have a pmon manual but unfortunately it is now in
Chinese, but you should be able to guess most of the content because the
commands are always in English:) Here:
http://www.lemote.com/Files/DownLoad/8089PMON%CA%B9%D3%C3%CA%D6%B2%E1.pdf
I will try to arrange the translation.

Packages modified by Lemote that might lead to breakage:
  1. the x server. To make the server know how to mmap the io port. It
seems the latest X server/linux kernel has standard way to do this now.
  2. linux kernel. We have to provide custom kernel before it is accepted
by debian official, the source is provided via
http://dev.lemote.com/git?p=linux_loongson.git;a=summary

And to compile the kernel natively, we need to patch the binutils a bit to
workaround a bug between CPU/southbridge.

Any difficulties, please ask us as we probably can give answers.

Best Regards