[Gnewsense-dev] debian on yeeloong SOLVED :)

From: Graziano Sorbaioli
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] debian on yeeloong SOLVED :)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:33:05 +0100

Finally, thanks to a HUGE help from "D--", a #beijinglug hero,  I
managed to install Debian into the Lemote Yeeloong.

Here is D--'s website:

http://cinnamonpirate.com/

Feel free to say thanks. :)

Here are the instructions:

0. Download the debian loongson image:

http://bjlx.org.cn/loongson/loongson2_debian5_20090108.tar.bz2

1. Use gparted to format a partition on a USB disk to ext3.

2. Mount it, change to the folder inside the usb /, and run `tar xjpvf
/yourpath/loongson2_debian5_20090108.tar.bz2

3. Open /media/YOUR_NEW_EXT3/etc/fstab and comment out all lines except
proc.

4. Run `sync`. Be patient. Remove your USB disk.

5. Start the Yeelong. Open terminal. Remount / as rw instead of ro this way:

mount -o remount, rw /

6. Edit /boot/boot.cfg. Make sure it has "showmenu 1". Add these lines.

title Debian on Yeeloong
kernel /dev/fs/address@hidden/boot/vmlinux-yeeloong
args console=tty root=/dev/sda1 no_auto_cmd rootdelay=10

7. Power down. Plug in your USB key.

8. Press DEL.
At the pmon prompt write:

load /dev/fs/address@hidden/boot/vmlinux-yeeloong
g console=tty root=/dev/sda1 no_auto_cmd rootdelay=10

Then the system will boot into your new shining debian. :)

D-- suggested:

If you get a kernel panic about not being able to mount root (/), check
if it is mapping it as sda. The supplied kernel has a quirk where it
mounts and unmounts the device creating it as sdb the second time. My
new kernel for medan doesn't have this problem.

If you continue to have trouble, I suggest trying a USB hard disk, not a
USB stick. I've had a lot of bad experiences with sticks flaking out and
writing 0s inside of files. A USB hard disk will not have this problem.

THANKS D--.

- --
Graziano Sorbaioli -- www.sorbaioli.org
Join the Free Software Foundation: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7201
Supporters will receive our new USB membership card with gNewSense Live