Re: [Gnash] [OT?] Gnash and NSPlugin comparison

From: annonygmouse
Subject: Re: [Gnash] [OT?] Gnash and NSPlugin comparison
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:39:01 +0100

Partha Bagchi wrote:
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

Rob Savoye wrote:

Partha Bagchi wrote:

Thanks for the new alpha 7.2 version of Gnash. There are still some
issues namely the 100% resource utilization on my computer (dv8000z -
AMD Turion 64, Fedora Core 6 x86_64,  2.6.18-1.2849.fc6). Some sites are
still an issue. However, it looks to me like we are on the right track.

 I think this will be a problem until one of us on buys an AMD64
machine, and works on it daily. It's very difficult for us to track down
obscure bugs on a platform none of us have. Donations of equipment are
always appreciated. :-)

I understand. However, if the obscure bug is a show stopper (for me), then it is an issue, no? :-)

This is my only machine. So, if I have to get flash gnash and nsplugin are my only options. Another user on the FedoraForum mentioned that I might see 100% CPU usage if I do not have hardware 3D acceleration. Considering that I have an ATI 200M XPress card, I do not have 3D acceleration. Is that the problem you think why OpenGL is taking up all the resource to deal with flash? Please note that nsplugin does not have that issue anymore.

I have the same video card and it happens to me too. Any opengl based application consumes all my cpu. Until ATI opens a bit more, the opensource drivers won't have 3d acceleration.

Kind regards
Sebastià

___________________________________________________________ Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html