Re: [Gnash] Gnash cannot legally play animations created with MM tools?

From: Tomas Groth
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash cannot legally play animations created with MM tools?
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 17:41:30 +0100 (CET)

--- Rob Savoye <address@hidden> skrev:

> Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
>

> > There is only one interesting statement:
> > "You shall not use the Software to develop any product having the same
> > primary function as the Software."
>
>   I believe that's one of the clauses people refer to. I've also been
> told there is a reverse engineering clause, although maybe this is the
> same thing.
>
>   I guess the big question is how to define "using the software to
> develop a similar product". I interpret this as meaning you can't use
> Adobe tools at all, neither the IDE, nor the commercial plugin and
> player. Maybe that's too restrictive, but that's the philosophy I've
> been following.
>
> > Untrue. I *do* use and have buyed the IDE. Why shouldn't I? After all
> > our (our company's) goal is to use Gnash as an player for embedded
>
>   I'm going to be more than a little upset if I'm forced to back out all
> the AGG work. :-( Now I do have to go find a lawyer, unless Adobe
> decides to supply us with their interpretation of the EULA, and how it
> applies to developers of Flash technology. This also means I can't now
> do the 0.7.32 release with AGG included until we have a definite legal
> opinion. We would have to have gone through this process eventually, but
> now I have to do it right away... Most of my other thoughts on this
> right now are all four letter words not suitable for a public email list.

It's important to remember that in some contries (such as Sweden and Denmark,
perhaps more) the clause mentioned is not legal (it conflicts with local laws),
and can therefore not be enforced. If Udo can check the local (german?) laws,
this discussion may not be so relevant as could be feared...

cheers,

Tomas