Re: [Gnash] Adobe and Mozilla Foundation to Open ActionScript!

From: Tomas Groth
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Adobe and Mozilla Foundation to Open ActionScript!
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:17:13 +0100 (CET)

--- Rob Savoye <address@hidden> skrev:

> Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>
> > It's the AVM2/Flash9 VM which is used to run compiled ActionScript3
> > bytecode. It is not backward compatible with FlashPlayer<=8 AS1/2
> > bytecode (flash player 9 incudes both VMs).
>
>   My gut feeling is we *don't* want to make the mistake of having two
> separate VMs, one for Flash v9, and the other for Flash v8 or less. This
> code release should be very useful, but more for letting us achieve v9
> compliance the easy way. :-) The AS3 code may also be interesting too.
> But what I'd like to do is figure out how to make the Gnash VM support
> all Flash versions. Running two VMs has got to be a memory and cpu hog.
> I'd rather make sure Gnash stays suitable for embedded platforms.

I'm not sure i agree on this, since i've heard rumors that the new VM is very
fast, and there is also the question of whether it will be possible/feasable to
support AS3 with gnash's current VM (which i know very little about). But since
"tamarin" probably wont be functional for a while, we'll have plenty of time to
discuss :)

>   I did notice the Linux support isn't released yet... Looking at the
> code, it appears they've included test cases! Anyone looking for an easy
> project, could dig through the ActionScript classes, looking for
> anything useful to flesh out the AS classes in Gnash.

Testcases is always nice :) I assume they available as raw actionscript code?

cheers,

Tomas