Re: [Gnash] gstreamer plugin

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Gnash] gstreamer plugin
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:48:09 +0200

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 08:14:29PM +0200, Tomas Groth wrote:

> --- Daniel James <address@hidden> skrev:
>
> > Hi Sergio,
> >
> > > Could it be possible to implement a plugin for gstreamer in replace to the
> > sfwdec plugin?
> >
> > This is an area we've been looking at in the 64 Studio project, due to
> > the patent licensing problems of MP3 decoders, required by all fully
> > functional Flash players of course. Gstreamer now has a legal MP3
> > plug-in available, from the Fluendo website, and the source of that is
> > available in Debian.
> >

> Unfortunatly it turns out that fluendo's legal mp3 decoder doesn't
> support MPEG 2.5 decoding, which is used alot in sound streams in
> SWF, so it's not all great...

It seems to me that if the source if available in Debian, what you'll
get in the distro will be a recompilation of that source, probably
patched to suit a few Debian guidelines, so not covered by the
binary-only license from Fluendo.

Apparently, you have either a legal non-free decoder, either a
patent-infriging free decoder.

This is specious.. in this regard Fluendo sounds no better than other
free decoders :/

It is not the only patent Gnash potentially infriges anyway...

--
Sylvain