Re: [Gnash] gstreamer plugin

From: Daniel James
Subject: Re: [Gnash] gstreamer plugin
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:53:29 +0100

Hi Sergio,

Could it be possible to implement a plugin for gstreamer in replace to the
sfwdec plugin?

This is an area we've been looking at in the 64 Studio project, due to the patent licensing problems of MP3 decoders, required by all fully functional Flash players of course. Gstreamer now has a legal MP3 plug-in available, from the Fluendo website, and the source of that is available in Debian.

Unfortunately, if you use the Debian plugin I don't think it can be covered by Fluendo's patent licence, only the binary direct from Fluendo is, as far as I can tell (and I'm not a lawyer). Still, it's already a big improvement on the previous situation.

Cheers!

Daniel