Re: [Gnash] spyware buried in Flash movies

From: Claus Wahlers
Subject: Re: [Gnash] spyware buried in Flash movies
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 02:33:39 -0200

>    I consider spyware something buried in an executable format that
> communicates with a remote service and records information. (at least if
> their link wasn't broken). I haven't really looked at Google Analytics,
> so I can't say much.

google analytics works conceptually the same, just that the author
adds javascript to her html. if a user visits the page with a
javascript enabled browser, a script is pulled from google and
executed.

btw, for cross domain requests flash requires a contract between the
server that is making the request and the server that is receiving it.

more info here:
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14213

>    But I think I will make loading of external URLs optional.

this would prevent swfs from directly consuming webservices (without
using proxy middleware)
cheers,
claus.